Saturday, June 28, 2008

Past Life Regression and Hypnosis: Debunked, Demystified and Plainly Described

"What is a past life regression?"  That is by far my most frequently asked question.  Quite simply, past life regression is the process of uncovering memories that can't be attributed to an experience that has occurred in this lifetime.  Or, even simpler:  you remember your own past lives.  That's right.  How do you do that?  This is accomplished through a process called hypnosis.  Now you're scared, right?  Hypnosis has gathered itself a rather unsavory reputation in our culture, thanks to media portrayal of "mind control" or individuals "going to sleep".  The truth is, the actual experience of hypnosis is nothing like the Hollywood version.  I was quite surprised by how it felt the first time I was hypnotized, and nearly all of my clients express that it was not at all like they thought it would be.  
Hypnosis is a state of focused concentration that can be reached by relaxing enough to tune into our subconscious mind and gain access to the wealth of information stored in there, including our unconscious memories.  Contrary to popular belief, you cannot be controlled in any way while under hypnosis or hypnotized against your will.  I once sat on a plane next to a man who asked me to stop gesturing with my hands when I talked, because he did not want to be hypnotized.  This was hilarious to me, and my active imagination immediately began to fantasize about having the ability to wave my hands like a Jedi Master so the world would do my bidding.  Nice thought, but simply not reality.  That particular man's desire to not be hypnotized is exactly the reason that I could have never accomplished it, regardless of what I did or how much I waved my hands around (I do admit that I possess this often-annoying habit of talking with my hands).  Hypnosis is a completely voluntary experience.  This is probably not good news for some of you who have participated in "stage" hypnosis.  I promise you that if you quacked like a duck or ate an onion thinking it was an apple in front of hundreds of people, you did so because you wanted to; at least on some level.
We have all experienced hypnosis.  In fact, we unknowingly move in and out of different states of hypnosis consistently throughout the day.  Anyone who has ever been really engrossed in a TV show, behind the wheel of a car not realizing the light has changed, or glanced at the clock and were shocked to discover that indeed a whole hour had passed, has experienced light hypnosis.  When you use hypnosis for past life regression, a trained (and hopefully skilled) hypnotist guides you to a very deep state of relaxation and watches you closely for certain body cues that let them know when you are relaxed enough to tap into these memories.  This relaxation level varies from person to person, and for a past life regression I don't really want my clients to go too deep.  Someone who is deeply under and blissed out on my couch might have an amazing experience in their own head, but I simply can't guide you through it if you can't talk and interact with me.  That said a medium level usually does suffice for my purposes.
There are a variety of techniques with fancy names for inducing hypnosis; the effectiveness of each varies for each individual based on several factors including personality.  Ascertaining which to use for each client is somewhat of an art form and is, for most of us hypnotists, a largely intuitive process.  Regardless of the technique used, the end result is a very calm, relaxed, peaceful person that is actively conversing with their subconscious mind.  This hypnotized person is constantly aware of what they are experiencing, as the conscious mind does not ever disappear at any point in the process.  
One of the biggest obstacles to overcome in a hypnosis session is a person's natural tendency to actively interpret the information coming forward rather than allowing it to flow unhindered.  The fact that we are "aware" while under hypnosis is exactly what makes it so compelling and potentially life changing, as we have the ability to retain and instantly integrate this subconscious material, which is often incredibly profound to the individual experiencing it.  Most people remember everything that was said and done while they were under hypnosis.  Those who don't often find that the missing information surfaces over the course of the next few days, either through dreams, deja-vu sensations, or rather spontaneously.
Another common fear that people have is that they cannot be hypnotized.  It is true that an individual's natural capacity for that type of relaxation does vary, but the overwhelming majority of us can.  Those who don't have an experience the first time often just need to practice.  The way that you practice being a better hypnosis subject is to meditate.  For those of you rolling your eyes, I would like to inform you that we are once again dealing with a largely misunderstood term.  Meditation is the act of closing your eyes (or not, if you prefer), breathing deeply and trying the very best you can to quiet the incessant chatter taking place in most of our heads.  Meditation is a personal practice that has nothing to do with belonging to any particular culture or religious denomination.  It has only to do with You (your self) and You (your inner self), and finding a way to introduce them to one another.
There are many different ways to meditate.  Experimenting with different poses, times of day and locations are the best ways to find what works for you.  Meditating in a group can be a powerful experience, as being in the presence of others gathered together for the same purpose magnifies the effect exponentially.  Many beginners find a group beneficial, but you don't need one to get started.
Some people find it useful to chant a word or phrase that they find pleasant to help them to focus, which is called a mantra.  This mantra can be anything at all, use your imagination and find your own.  Just make certain that it will be a phrase that serves to enhance your relaxation, otherwise it will only become a distraction and a hindrance.  If you don't speak Sanskrit, then you might find that it feels awkward to use it in your meditation practice.  Or maybe this beautiful and poetic language rolls easily off of your tongue and using it becomes a source of inspiration.  Some of my personal favorite mantras are "relax", "let it go", "be here now" and "calm is good".  A mantra can work well as a foil for our usual inner dialogue, which we are working to escape from; that voice in our head reminding us to buy dog food, recounting an unpleasant dialogue with our boss, or wondering when that cute guy you met last week is going to call.  A mantra is not necessary, however.
What is most important is that your meditation practice feels comfortable and natural for you; otherwise you will not enjoy it.  You can sit, lie down, cook, take a shower, stand on your head, or do anything at all that you find conducive to quieting your own mind.  This meditative state is extremely pleasant (this is your best "happy place"), and over time you will begin to realize that you are experiencing what I call the "real you".
This meditative state that I have been describing is nearly identical to what you experience under hypnosis.  Practicing this will help you reach a trance state more rapidly and ensure better results over time for your hypnosis sessions.  Incorporating a meditation practice into your life will also provide you with a myriad of physical and mental benefits; including an enhanced ability to focus, a more robust immune system and a better night's sleep.
And now we have only to address the rather large elephant in the room.  Past lives?  Really!?  I believe so.  But, I also think that it is important for each of us as individuals to seek out our own beliefs.  Truth can be an extremely personal concept, and what is true for me might not necessarily be true for you.  I have done many past life regressions under hypnosis, and I believe that the memories from these incredible experiences do indeed belong to me.  The intense emotions involved with these memories feel genuine; and the sights, smells, sounds, tastes and other sensations I have experienced have all been incredibly vivid.  The people, places and situations I have remembered while under hypnosis all speak to me, and I feel that what I have learned about myself has been invaluable to my current lifetime.  I truly believe that who I am is the sum of my existence.  This is my own found, unique and individual truth.  What seems to matter the most in this, or any life is our commitment to this on-going search; for without knowing our own truth, we can never really know ourselves.       

No comments: